The Asia New Zealand Foundation organises track II (informal diplomacy) dialogues between New Zealand and individual countries or groups of countries. We also participate in dialogues run by other organisations working in the track II field.
Information about our track II work with various nations, and reports from recent dialogues, can be found below.
We have held talks with the Chinese People's Institute for Foreign Affairs, the Shanghai Institute for International Studies and China Institute of Contemporary International relations since 2008.
- Sino-US relations recurring theme at talks with China - Beijing, November 2011
In a new initiative, the Asia New Zealand Foundation partnered with the Habibie Center of Jakarta to bring together 15 young people from New Zealand and 15 from Indonesia to discuss strategies for strengthening links between the two countries.
- 15+15 dialogue - Wairarapa, December 2014
Talks are held regularly with the Japan Institute of International Affairs.
- NZ and Japan share perspectives on Asia-Pacific issues - Wellington, September 2013
- Papers from the dialogue:
- NZ-Japan talks reconfirm strong bilateral ties - Tokyo, August 2012
In a new initiative, the Asia New Zealand Foundation brought together academic and government experts for a roundtable discussion to look at India in 2014.
This annual dialogue with India's Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses began in 2009.
- Maritime security concerns prominent in talks with Indian think tank Wellington, October 2012
- Asia New Zealand Foundation leads third dialogue with Indian think tank - New Delhi, December 2011
- Second India-New Zealand Track II dialogue - Wellington, 13-14 September 2010
A dialogue with the Myanmar Institute of Science and Institute of Strategic and International Studies was set up in 2012.
- Wide-ranging discussion at Myanmar-NZ dialogue - Wellington, August 2013
South China Sea
- Report on the 5th International Workshop on the South China Sea: Cooperation fior Regional Security and Development - Hanoi, November 2013
The International Workshop on the South China Sea is an annual event organised by the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam and the Vietnam Lawyers' Association.
- Workshop delegates share views on South China Sea challenges - Ho Chi Minh City, November 2012
A relationship with the Asan Institute for Policy Studies was set up in 2012.
- South Korea's regional challenges prominent at 2014 dialogue - Seoul, May 2014
- Second meeting between Asan Institute of South Korea and the Asia New Zealand Foundation - Wellington, October 2013
- Seoul talks launch partnership between Asia New Zealand Foundation and Asan Institute - Seoul, May 2012
The Asia New Zealand Foundation joins Asialink (Australia) and the ASEAN member nations for this dialogue, which began in 2008.
- The Seventh ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Dialogue - Kuala Lumpur, November 2014
- The Sixth ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Dialogue - Kuala Lumpur, November 2013. Closing remarks by John McKinnon, Executive Director
- The Fifth ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Dialogue - Kuala Lumpur, December 2012
- The Fourth ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Dialogue - Kuala Lumpur, December 2011
- The Third ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand trilateral - Kuala Lumpur, 2010
The International Institute for Strategic Studies website (IISS) Asia Security Summit, known as the Shangri-La Dialogue, is the foremost annual forum for defence and security issues in the wider Asia-Pacific region.
- IISS website - 2012 Shangri-La-Dialogue
- Shangri-La Dialogue and Asia Pacific Roundtable - Singapore and Malaysia, June 2010
A relationship with the Prospect Foundation was set up in 2012, with the first dialogue in Taipei. The most recent dialogue was held in Wellington in April 2013.
- Trade the focus of 2014 dialogue - Taipei, May 2014
- Taiwanese delegation visits Wellington for second dialogue - Wellington, April 2013
- Inaugural dialogue with the Prospect Foundation in Taiwan - Taipei, May 2012
Dialogues with the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam have been held since 2008.
- Vietnamese visit Wellington for fourth annual dialogue (Wellington, October 2012)
- China's rise the dominant topic at Vietnam talks - Hanoi, November 2011
Want to get involved?
If you are already actively involved in New Zealand’s track II activities, or you have the specialist background and aspiration to be involved, please let us know.
Email a copy of your CV, with your name, phone number, email address and a brief note about your current or proposed track II involvement to Andrew Butcher.