The Kiwi Asia Scholarship is offered once each year to young New Zealanders of Asian descent who are planning on studying journalism.
The scholarship, worth $5,000, was created by the Asia New Zealand Foundation to help attract more Asian New Zealanders into journalism, and also encourage greater representation of Asian communities in mainstream New Zealand journalism.
Payment of the scholarship is made on completion of your journalism study.
Who can apply?
- be New Zealand passport holders or permanent residents
- be Asian or part-Asian in ethnicity
- be considering a career in news journalism
- be enrolled in a course of journalism study at an industry-approved journalism school or have applied for a course (Competenz website - list of industry-approved journalism schools).
The ability to speak an Asian language is an advantage.
Note: If you've applied to a journalism course but are yet to hear if you've been accepted, you can still apply for the scholarship. However, the scholarship award is conditional on your being accepted.
How to apply
To apply, you need to submit a cover letter, CV and other documents to our media adviser Rebecca Palmer by 5pm on Monday 8 December.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter
- Your CV, including your academic record
- Examples of writing,
Send your application by email to email@example.com or by post to:
Asia New Zealand Foundation
PO Box 10 144
Note: If you're submitting your application by post, please provide three copies of each page.
For more information, contact Rebecca Palmer on firstname.lastname@example.org or 04 470 8701.