The Singapore Cultural Connections Trip is an initiative to assist New Zealand schools to build cultural connections with schools in Singapore.
Asia New Zealand Foundation will host 10 participants on a six-day tour to Singapore.
Dates: Sunday 5 July to Saturday 11 July 2015 (first week of New Zealand school holidays)
The major purpose of the trip will be to establish cultural connections between students in New Zealand and Singapore. This will involve participants spending time in a Singaporean school. Principals will be expected to establish links between their school and the Singaporean school. Teachers will be expected to partner with local teachers to determine how they will establish sustainable connections between their students.
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- gain first-hand experience of the education system in Singapore, as well as the culture, customs and growth and development in the region
- establish links between New Zealand and Singaporean schools
- be exposed to a range of Asian cultures (Chinese, Malaysian and Indian) and languages (Mandarin, Malay and Tamil).
Applicants must be:
- A principal and another staff member (senior manager or teacher) from the same school (who must attend together); OR
- A teacher from a school that already has an established relationship with a school in Singapore.
The Asia New Zealand Foundation covers all in-country costs including hotel accommodation, travel and meals related to the programme.
In addition to the in-country costs, travel grants of $1000 per participant will be provided to schools to assist with international airfares.
Participants will be responsible for their own airfares, travel insurance and personal spending money.
Applications for 2015 closed on March 30.
Successful applicants informed by: 10 April 2015
Unsuccessful applicants informed by: 17 April 2015
Contact Sean O’Connor for further information.
Applications will be assessed by a panel made up of Asia New Zealand Foundation staff and external stakeholders.
The trip will enable participants to:
- increase their knowledge and understanding of New Zealand’s relationship with Singapore
- support the development and implementation of being Asia-equipped throughout New Zealand schools
- plan subsequent visits to Singapore such as school trips and student/teacher exchanges.
Following the trip, participants will be expected to:
- complete an action plan outlining how your school plans to establish sustainable cultural connections with your Singaporean sister school
- take part in a feedback session organised by the Foundation
- be available to discuss your experiences with peers, colleagues and other stakeholders
- be available to be interviewed about the experience.