Celebrate Diwali Festival of Lights - India's best-loved festival - with us each year in Auckland and Wellington. Our festivals feature traditional and contemporary Indian dance and music, food stalls offering a variety of tasty treats from around India, and a grand finale fireworks display.
2014 Diwali Festivals
This event was held in partnership with the Wellington City Council.
Auckland Diwali Festival was presented by Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) in partnership with Asia New Zealand Foundation on 11 and 12 October.
- Slideshow of images from the 2014 Auckland festival
- One News - Indian festival of lights kicks off in Auckland (video)
Diwali is an ancient Hindu festival celebrating the triumph of light over darkness and the renewal of life. It is celebrated by people in India and Indians living abroad. Families light lamps, candles and fireworks to symbolise the triumph of light over darkness, wisdom over ignorance and good over evil.
- Background of Diwali - learn more about the festival's origins
- Diwali Quiz - what do you know about the Festival of Lights?
Social sciences units of work that encourage students to explore how Diwali is celebrated and to discover why this festival is significant to the peoples of India.
- Let's Share Diwali - Level 1-2 social sciences resource
- Let's Share Diwali - Level 3-4 social sciences resource